RF Systems Design Engineer
Communications & Power Industries – Camarillo, CA
CPI Malibu, a Division of Communications & Power Industries (CPI), is an advanced antenna solutions provider for critical defense, aerospace and communications applications worldwide. CPI Malibu is a recognized leader in the Data Link and communications industry and has built an excellent reputation, both domestically and internationally. We have unique capabilities and experience in design, analysis, and manufacture of telemetry, communications, electronic warfare, and radar antenna systems. Worldwide installation, logistics, and repair support are performed by our in-house service organization with assistance from local CPI offices. CPI Malibu takes an analytical approach to design and manufactures through the use of CAD, CAE, large-scale graphics and computer-controlled machining. Two anechoic chambers (including a compact range) and a well-equipped, small volume production machine shop support our capabilities and enable CPI Malibu to react quickly to customer’s requests. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our team.
We are currently seeking an experienced RF Design Engineer who has been involved in all phases of the development of new and modified microwave and millimeter wave antennas systems, from concept through design, analysis, modeling, testing, and documentation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (ARE NOT LIMITED TO):
- Provide technical expertise in the areas of electromagnetics, antennas and RF systems
- Design of RF networks in advanced antenna systems, and identify RF components in support of next generation systems
- Implement RF and antenna prototypes, to verify simulated performance in a lab environment
- RF link budget analysis, system-level modeling, and simulation with analytical tools such as Matlab
- Translate customer requirements into system level design requirements
- Support generation of specification and test documents, work jointly with a multi-discipline Engineering team, CAD Designers, and Manufacturing to ensure efficient manufacturing of hardware
- Develop drawings, documentation and test procedures for the fabrication and validation of antenna systems
- Participate in engineering design group meetings
- Make presentations at customer attended meetings and provides status reports to customers.
- Participate in the development and test of antenna systems in the lab and antenna test chambers.
- Provides support to Marketing for the generation of bids and proposals.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Master’s or Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering or related field and related experience performing design work and systems integration on antenna systems, 3 years minimum experience in RF design.
Practical skills that allow hands-on contributions in the above fields. This should include experience with EM design software such as CST, HFSS, and experience with RF instrumentation (vector network analyzer, spectrum analyzer and related equipment). Must be comfortable with standard programming tools (MatLab) to accomplish such tasks as data processing, link analysis, and simple system simulations. Experience with and an understanding of antenna range measurements is a preferred.
Must have experience with:
- RF and Microwave system and subsystem analysis and design
- Working knowledge of practical RF system considerations such as link budgets, cascade noise figure, compression points and saturation
- RF systems in which antennas operate such as radar, telemetry, satellite communication, and other communication systems
- Waveguide and coaxial components such as connectors, impedance transformers, power dividers, phase shifters, switches, rotary joints, filters, orthomode transducers
- Transmission line theory and impedance matching techniques
- Antenna system operating environments and mechanical design issues related to antennas
- Microwave materials
- Comprehensive knowledge of the setup and operation of complex RF test equipment including vector network analyzers, power meters, spectrum analyzers, vector signal generators as required for RF design validation
- Antenna pattern measurements
Proficiency Microsoft Office products
Ability to read schematics, plans and drawings
Ability to work within schedules and budgets
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Able to enter and move around in various job sites such as naval vessels and military facilities, climb stairs, read schematics, drawings and other documents, operate a personal computer, drive to job sites and interact verbally with other staff, vendors and customers
Federal law requires CPI Malibu Division to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. CPI Malibu Division uses eVerify and does provides Social Security Administration and/or Department of Homeland Security employee’s I-9 Form to confirm work authorization.
This position requires potential access to technology controlled under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). The successful candidate must be a “U.S. Person” as defined under ITAR and EAR. In order to be a U.S. Person for ITAR and EAR purposes, you must (i) be a citizen or national of the United States; or (ii) be a lawful permanent resident of the United States; or (iii) have been admitted to the United States as a refugee, or have been granted asylum.
CPI Malibu Division is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or childbirth, veteran status, or any other classification that is protected under applicable state, federal or local laws.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. CPI, Malibu is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Job Type: Full-time
- Camarillo, CA
- radar, telemetry, satellite communication, and other communi: 3 years
- RF Systems Design: 3 years
- RF and Microwave system and subsystem analysis and design: 3 years
- electromagnetics, antennas and RF systems: 3 years